You owe money to the IRS, what are your options?
- You owe money to the IRS, what are your options?
- IRS pressures you to pay back taxes. But, if you pay your back taxes, you will fall short on your current year taxes. Should you pay back taxes first or keep current for 2015?
- Why is it so important to open mail from the IRS?
- Failing to do so may forfeit important appeal rights
- What are the options when you owe the IRS?
- Will the IRS put me in jail if I don't pay what I owe?
5 Rules of Engagement in dealing with IRS Collection Matters
Marty Davidoff Bio
TEL: 732-274-1600 FAX: 732-274-1666
Company Website: www.taxattorneycpa.com
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 835, Dayton, NJ 08810-0835
Fed Ex Address: 353 Georges Road, Suite K, Dayton, NJ 08810
Our firm is a proud member of the American Association of
Attorney-Certified Public Accountants (AAA-CPA)Certified Public Accountant Licensed in New York State Licensed in New Jersey
Attorney and Counsellor at Law Admitted to the New York State Bar Admitted to the New Jersey State Bar EDUCATION Massachusetts Institute of Technology
November 28, 1980 August 7, 1981 March 19, 1979 December 17, 1981
Received a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) from the Sloan School of Management, Class of 1974. Honors: Selected to be listed in Who's Who of American Colleges and Universities. Received two American Legion awards for leadership in student government. Alumni Activities: Class Treasurer (1979 - Date), Alumni Fund Board (1978 - 1981), Alumni Fund Class Agent (1974 - 1982), and Educational Counselor (1985 - 2002). Boston University Graduate School of Management Received M.B.A. with honors in September, 1975 Concentration in general management and finance Washington University School of Law - St. Louis, Missouri Received J.D. in May, 1978. Elective courses taken in corporations, estate planning, trusts, corporate finance, securities regulation, and taxation of individuals and business associations. Congressional Clinic: Worked on extensive legislative projects for U.S. Senator Hathaway during final semester. Completed 200-page analysis entitled "The Economic Cost of Alcohol Abuse". WHITE HOUSE CONFERENCES ON SMALL BUSINESS Appointed by Governor Whitman to the 1995 White House Conference. Elected as a delegate to the 1986 White House Conference on Small Business. Served as the New Jersey Delegations’ Tax Issues Co-Chair and Treasurer for both conferences.
E. MARTIN DAVIDOFF, CPA, ESQ. Page 2 of 4 PUBLIC ACCOUNTING WORK EXPERIENCE Early in my career, I worked at two medium-sized regional CPA firms, Richard A. Eisner & Company and Leonard C. Green & Company. Then in 1981, I established the firm of E. Martin Davidoff & Associates which has a solid reputation for providing expert services in tax controversy work, IRS problems resolution, individual and corporate taxation, income tax research and planning, S corporations, business start-ups, "CFO in a box" and business consulting. Achievements include the following...
- Frequently have negotiated with the IRS to release levies and liens in exchange for payout terms which are within our clients’ ability to pay.
- Successfully completed dozens of offers in compromise and closing agreements with the Internal Revenue Service, New Jersey Division of Taxation, and the New York Division of Taxation & Finance. Liabilities ranged from $12,000 to over $1,000,000 with payouts ranging from 3% to 62% of the total amount due.
- On a Pro Bono matter, convinced the IRS to reverse an assessment in excess of $10,000 and succeeded even though the time to appeal the assessment to the U.S. Tax Court had expired prior to my first meeting with my client.
- On many occasions, have secured the waiver of thousands of dollars of penalties assessed by the IRS and state tax agencies for the late payment of payroll or income taxes.
- Having been retained a mere 59 days prior to the running of the statute of limitations for filing an appeal of a refund claim, succeeded in having the Internal Revenue Service reverse over $110,000 of trust fund recovery penalties and associated interest.
- We have guided one of our clients from a “startup”, operating out of one of the shareholder’s homes, to a service business of over $10 million annually with over 110 employees.PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONSAmerican Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Tax Division Member
- State Officer - Vice President (1994 - 1995)
- State Officer - Secretary (1993 - 1994)
- Chairperson of the Membership Committee (1992 - 1993)
- President of Middlesex-Somerset Chapter (1991 - 1992)
- Trustee of the Society (1990 - 1992)
- Chairperson of the Committee of Federal Taxation (1988 - 1990)American Association of Attorney - Certified Public Accountants
- President (2008-2009)
- President-Elect (2007-2008)
- Vice President (2006-2007)
- Member of Executive Committee (2003 - Date)
- Chairperson and founder of IRS Tax Liaison Committee (1997 - 2009)
- Chairperson - Sub Committee on Tax Legislative Affairs (2009 - Date)
- Chairperson of Education Committee (2008 - Date)
- Treasurer of New York chapter (1986 - 1990)New Jersey State Bar Association - Section on Taxation Middlesex County Bar Association
E. MARTIN DAVIDOFF, CPA, ESQ. Page 3 of 4
HONORS w Selected by CPA Magazine as:
- one of the Top 40 Tax Advisors To Know During a Recession by CPA Magazine in theirApril/May 2009 edition
- one of the Top 50 IRS Representation Practitioners by CPA Magazine in their April/May 2008 edition
- one of the Top 100 Most Influential Practitioners by CPA Magazine in their 2005 and 2006 Tax Season edition
w “How to Evaluate a Real Estate Investment”, The Practical Accountant, p. 24 (October 1984)
E. MARTIN DAVIDOFF, CPA, ESQ. Page 4 of 4
BOARD OF DIRECTOR SERVICE - PUBLIC COMPANIES w BioClinica, Inc. (formerly Bio-Imaging Technologies, Inc.) (2004 - Date), Audit Committee - Financial expert PUBLIC SERVICE ACTIVITIES Small Business Advocacy Governor’s Conference on Small Business - Chairperson of Taxes and User Fees session (1994) National Federation of Independent Business (1995 - Date); Leadership Council (1995 - 2007); Tax Issues Committee Chairperson for New Jersey (2000-2007) New Jersey Association of Women Business Owners, Inc., Associate Member (1997 - 2002) Middlesex County Regional Chamber of Commerce (1993 - 2008) • Legislative Committee (1997 - 2008) Coauthor of New Jersey S Corporation Legislation (1992 - 1993) Community Service Office of Attorney Ethics Middlesex County Fee Arbitration Secretary (1992 - 1994); Successfully reduced case age by over 80% and case backlog by nearly 60%. East Brunswick Recreation and Parks Advisory Board (1992 - 1998)
- Principal proponent and advocate for 1998 Crystal Springs expansion
- President (1996 & 1997)East Brunswick Soccer Club
- Life Member
- Girls Recreational Coach (1986 - 1995)
- Girls Instructional Division Director (1989 - 1990)East Brunswick Rescue Squad LifeSavers’ Party Committee; Chairman of 2/29/2000 event which raised $15,000 for the East Brunswick Rescue SquadEast Brunswick Long Range Finance and Budget Advisory Committee (1993)
New Jersey Commission on Capital Budgeting and Planning - Public Member (1996 - 2000) East Brunswick Public Schools Thorough & Efficient/Curriculum Committee (1987 - 1989)Charitable InvolvementMilltown Jaycees (1981 - 2004)
- Chair, Children’s Holiday Shopping Spree project (1982 - 2004)
- Jaycee of the Year (1991 - 1992)Hugh O’Brian Youth Foundation New Jersey Seminars, Inc., Director (1991 - 2000)East Brunswick Jewish Center Board of Directors, Constitution (2008 - Date)Mens Club of The East Brunswick Jewish Center
- Vice President (1994 - 1995, 1998 - 1999) • Man of the Year (1995)
- Treasurer (1995 - 1998) • Financial Secretary (1993 - 1994)thWomen Helping Women 25 Make A Smile Foundation, Inc. - Founder and Director
Anniversary Dinner Committee Member